My two last blogs around mastermind groups have certainly got people talking, people calling, people reblogging and most importanting people THINKING about what it is that they actually want as business owners. There seems to be common themes running throughout, and that’s why it has baffled me somehwhat that there are still business coaches, mastermind groups and the likes there of… that still don’t get it!
I recently had a client come to me from a business coach, who was advised to change their whole branding to become a character that simply isn’t them…. they were advised to have the word “chick or gal” in their business name, even though this person is a mature woman who wants to approach corporates…. ummm mismatch much? It seems that these coaches and mentors are forgetting the fundementals here… your clients wants you to understand them, work your magic around their businesses and not create a business or brand that fits your needs and agendas….
So lets take this a step further… what is it that business owners want from a business coach, a mastermind mentor or “an expert”?
Here is what I have found that they want….
- Someone who is willing to understand them and their business – not create a business for them that they don’t actually feel connected to. For example…. instead of being dismissive and saying “NO…that’s not a niche”… work out how their passion could be a niche! Sounds simple right?
- Don’t give them a whole load of rehashed american concepts that have NOT been tried and tested in this market
- Understand when online marketing works… and more importantly when it DOESNT!
- They want the tools of HOW to do things… not just theory…
- They want you! That is why they signed to be with you, to learn from you, to find out the strategies that worked for you and most importantly they want the systems that you have… so give it to them…. That’s what you are being paid for!
- They want you to deliver what you promise… if you promise small classroom sizes and access to you… then don’t put them in a room of 35 and give them a “bees dick” amount of time with you… they want someone who “means what they say, and says what they mean!”
- Their business isn’t just about marketing…. they want your professional opinion on all areas of the business… this means they want you to get a little more in-depth than just “What is your ideal day”